I recently decided to take up sewing again, and of course, I wanted the perfect sewing machine, so I spent weeks researching and reading all kinds of reviews on line. Although I was severely tempted to buy the Bernina Activa 240, I couldn't bring myself to spend over $1500 on a sewing machine when I wasn't even sure that I would keep it up. So, I knew I had to be practical and buy a much less expensive machine, and believe me there were many options to choose from. I narrowed down my choices to a Kenmore 19233 and the Heart Truth 2008 by Janome. Although, both have excellent reviews, I found that I couldn't make up my mind between the two. I went to Sears to look at the Kenmore and actually really liked it. Aesthetically, I liked its stark simplicity and beautiful pale lavender handle, unfortunately I was unable to test it since the store doesn't allow it. I couldn't find any local store that carried the HT 2008, but since plenty of online merchants carry it, I was at least able to look at it. After more agonizing, I still couldn't make up my mind and put off making any decision. And then a few days ago it occurred to me to look on Craig's list just for fun and see if there were any Berninas listed. I couldn't believe it when the first listing I found was for an Activa 131, and more unbelievably, the asking price was amazing. I impulsively decided to buy it, and I could not have made a better choice. I love it!!
Saturday, March 1, 2008
good things come to those who wait
I recently decided to take up sewing again, and of course, I wanted the perfect sewing machine, so I spent weeks researching and reading all kinds of reviews on line. Although I was severely tempted to buy the Bernina Activa 240, I couldn't bring myself to spend over $1500 on a sewing machine when I wasn't even sure that I would keep it up. So, I knew I had to be practical and buy a much less expensive machine, and believe me there were many options to choose from. I narrowed down my choices to a Kenmore 19233 and the Heart Truth 2008 by Janome. Although, both have excellent reviews, I found that I couldn't make up my mind between the two. I went to Sears to look at the Kenmore and actually really liked it. Aesthetically, I liked its stark simplicity and beautiful pale lavender handle, unfortunately I was unable to test it since the store doesn't allow it. I couldn't find any local store that carried the HT 2008, but since plenty of online merchants carry it, I was at least able to look at it. After more agonizing, I still couldn't make up my mind and put off making any decision. And then a few days ago it occurred to me to look on Craig's list just for fun and see if there were any Berninas listed. I couldn't believe it when the first listing I found was for an Activa 131, and more unbelievably, the asking price was amazing. I impulsively decided to buy it, and I could not have made a better choice. I love it!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Are you still loving your new machine? I love to hear about bargains found, and it sounds like you found a doozie!
I still love it! It doesn't have a lot of fancy stitches like the newer activas, but so far that's not an issue for me at all. The previous owner barely used it so the machine looked new when I got it. I was very lucky to find it:)
Post a Comment